In a recent Hot Aisle poll of 2326 respondents, 80% say that they run some production workload on their virtualised environment, however only a tiny minority (2%) do this without restrictions on the application’s criticallity.
- 29% of respondents say that they run “all but the most critical applications” on their virtual platforms.
- 51% of respondents only run “the unimportant ones” on their virtual platforms
- Interestingly on;y 2% say they will never run production applications on virtual platforms
So it is obvious that we have come a long way but still have a way to go to make virtualisation mainstream for critical business applications.
Previous surveys (cloud soup, and hypervisor poll) of the hot aisle readership show that the main concern of end users is enterprise level support of their key applications and the full stack including the virtualisation layer.
Here are the full results:
Do you host production applications on your virtual server infrastructure?
- Yes without restrictions – 48
- Yes but not the critical ones – 621
- Yes only the unimportant ones – 1196
- Not yet but we will inside 12 months 332
- Not yet maybe after a year or more – 44
- Not yet maybe never – 42
- Never will – 43